Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The L word

Meaning LEMONS of course. There is something about bright sunny days and warm weather that makes me crave these citrus fruits. They yield such yummy delights in both baking and cooking, that they are one of my favourite ingredients, something I always keep on hand in the fridge. Mum had found one of my Vegan Lemon Scone recipes tucked in her box, and that seemed like reason enough to make them. First thing this morning I hopped on my bike and went to the store to fill up on some fresh summer picks.

The recipe for the scones is as follows, and an easy peasy tutorial is here too!

Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Scones :
-2 cups whole wheat flour
-3/4 cup white sugar
-4 tsp baking powder
-pinch of salt
-3/4 cup margarine
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
-2 tbsp poppyseeds
-1/2 cup soymilk
-1/4 cup water


First thing, sift all dry ingredients together into a bowl. It will sift out the yummy bran of the flour, so just dump those bits in after everything else is sifted. Cut margarine into dry ingredients until its all nice and crumbly.


Zest and juice your lemon. Note : zest the whole lemon first, THEN cut it and juice it. Add to dry mix.

Add remaining ingredients, poppyseeds, and slowly add the liquid. If your mix seems too liquidy, then you can use less water, or, add a bit more flour. Combine it all up til its a nice ball. Then with floured hands take chunks as small or large as you like your scones, and roll them into balls.

Make sure to space them. They'll expand quite a bit in the oven. Now I wish I knew how to do fancy triangle scones, but i'll have to find a tutorial and learn it for myself first. For now, round will do. Bake at 400F or 200C for 10-15 minutes.


And voila, yummy lemony vegan scones. They're not overly sweet, but they are lovely fresh.
Now foods with lemon are not all that have been on my brain, I simply adore yellow this time of year, and was browsing Etsy for some sunny finds.
This sweet lemony organizer holds coupons and a notebook for runs to the market. You can find it and others at offthehookbybrooke.etsy.com
I practically squealed when I saw these cupcake wrappers. Hello fun tea party accessories? So cute, and a dozen is so affordable, find these and other cute paper wrappers at Oliviaspapershoppe.etsy.com

Lastly, you know I can't help but browse through pet things for my darling Daisy. I found a super sweet yellow polkadot collar. It would be so fresh for summer! These and many more accessories for your pooch can be found at collarsbydesign.etsy.com.
I'll be keeping with the lemon theme this week, as I have more recipes and things to share. There will even be a sweet giveaway of one of my own jewelry creations from Daisy*Kisses!! For a head's up, you'll be able to enter the giveaway contest by leaving a comment under Tomorrow's post, 2 entries by leaving a comment AND following the blog, and 3 entries for commenting, following and posting a link/featuring the contest on your blog!
Thanks for popping in, remember to leave some love, and spread the word!
-Katrina







No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly appreciate the time you take to view my blog and leave a little comment. I promise I read each one, and they mean a lot to me. Come again soon.